Sunday, June 10, 2007

They Come From Where??!!

I'll start off this blog with a little anecdote from a few weeks back....

Emma and I were watching TLC's A Baby Story when she asked the question, "Momma, that baby is about to come out of that woman's belly right?"

I had a brief moment of parental confliction...Do I:

A:Tell her the truth in the simplest form, risking giving her too much information too soon and therefore scarring her for life

or B: Just nod and let her go on believing in her own version of the facts of life.

Well against my own better judgment I responded with, "Actually Emma, babies come out of women's vaginas not their bellies."

She looked at me with her mouth wide open, glanced back at the TV and said in a tiny voice, "Could you please turn the channel? This is scaring me now".

I'll save this memory for her therapist.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh so funny, I wished I could have been there. Poor Emma, scaring her like that, but honestly, a one sentence true answer is the best. Wait until she figures out how the sperm gets to the egg, hopefully it's not in a car you are driving at the time. Give lots of hugs to her from me, Denise

Chris said...

BABIES COME FROM VAGINAS?!!?!?!?!

You must be mistaken!! Danielle, Kelsey and Morgan came from Jenna's belly. I think you may want to google a thing or two before you have anymore concversations with your daughter.

Seriously that is freakin hysterical.

Anonymous said...

YOU TOLD MY DAUGHTER WHAT!!!???

Anonymous said...

just kidding, i heared that one before.

Anonymous said...

sebastian likes to ask "how did you make me"?
I just ignore it usually!
Although when he askes if he came out of my stomach I can say yes without fibbing : )

love the blog!

Deirdre said...

I don't know if Ricky and Emma should be getting married anymore. It could be trouble. Poor Rick almost died when in a very public bathroom Ricky quite loudly stated wow Daddy your penis is huge I hope someday mine is as big as that. As I waited outside 5 guys came out laughing Rick came out 10 minutes later (he wanted to make sure everyone else was gone). Now I have to take the kid all the time..... he better not say anything about the size of my .......

Chris said...

I'd pay my kid $10 to brag at how huge it was. That doesn't sound very good....I didn't mean it that way. What I meant to say is that I wouldn't be embarrassed if someone announced to the world that my penis was huge. Just in case you are wondering I have never herard that......................